Fertility Tests For WomenDr Asha S Vijay
Infertility is a condition when a woman intends to become a mother but has failed, despite frequent unprotected sex for more than a year. Infertility has been one of the biggest problems for women for a long time. New treatments are evolving every day, and the latest techniques are now available to deal with this problem.
First and foremost, you need to know how “fertile” you are and your chances of conceiving. You also need to keep track of your menstrual cycle as it plays a vital role in conception. Studying the ovulation pattern provides critical clues about any disorders that may exist. Suppose a woman has not been pregnant after trying for an extended period. In that case, it becomes essential to see a doctor who could recommend a series of fertility tests to define better and identify any underlying adverse condition.
What are the fertility tests for women?
When you plan to conceive, one of the crucial steps is to evaluate sexual health and whether the reproductive organs, including the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries, are healthy and functioning. You could be suggested to undergo various procedures to detect the health of these organs. Some of the usual tests are
• Hysterosalpingogram: This is also known as tubogram. These are a sequence of x-rays of the uterus and Fallopian tubes. A dye (liquid form) is injected via the vagina. An alternative method includes using air or saline in place of paint, and then an ultrasound scan is done. This test helps in knowing if there is a blockage in the fallopian tubes or an issue with the uterus and is usually performed between the 6th and 12th day after the menstrual period.
• Transvaginal ultrasound: Also called endovaginal ultrasound. This type of ultrasound test uses sound waves of high frequency to generate images and helps examine the internal organs, the uterus, Fallopian tubes, ovaries, and vagina. This type of testing involves inserting a probe into the vaginal canal. Unlike other ultrasounds, the transducer rests on the external parts.
• Hysteroscopy: This procedure helps investigate the inside of the uterus to diagnose and treat any underlying abnormal condition, such as abnormal bleeding. Firstly, the cervix is dilated to allow insertion of the hysteroscope, a thin, illuminated tube. It is then introduced into the vagina and passed through the cervix to the uterus.
• Laparoscopy: Small slits are made on the abdomen to introduce instruments, including a camera that helps survey the pelvis and diagnose problems like endometriosis.
Other fertility tests
In addition to all the above tests, doctors might recommend going through different tests to diagnose fertility problems better. Some of them are:
• Hormones such as FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone), LH, Progesterone, Prolactin, AMH, etc. – These are responsible for the growth and development of eggs in the ovaries for carrying out other functions in the process of conception. An imbalance in the levels of these hormones could indicate a decreased fertility rate.
• A Pap smear is usually done to identify any changes in the cells within the cervix that could be causing conditions that can interfere with fertility in women.
• Screening for sexually transmitted diseases has become an integral part of prenatal testing as these diseases are also among the significant causes affecting fertility.
No problem is too grave to find a cure. It only needs determination and perseverance to deal with the issues and succeed. If you are suspicious of infertility, let it not push you towards depression and frustration. Remember that no one is singled out; many couples have this problem. It would help if you had the right advice at the right time from the right doctor.
Understand your body better, know your reproductive health, talk to a doctor. Let nothing impede the dream of motherhood.
Share this page
GarbhaGudi is a chain of New-Generation Infertility Treatment Hospitals equipped with state-of- art-infrastructure & cutting-edge IVF Technology to address infertility issues & their emotional & mental effects on couples. We have a team of qualified & experienced doctors; their in-depth knowledge & expertise leaves no stone unturned to solve all your infertility issues. The Supportive & caring staff is always by your side to motivate & guide you throughout the journey. GarbhaGudi IVF, the best fertility treatment hospital in Bangalore, provides emotional support to couples facing infertility issues and sexual problemsContact Us