What is the role of laparoscopy in infertility?
Role of Laparoscopy in Infertility
There are a lot of couples who are struggling with infertility. Infertility has now become an area of focus for which couples seek a resolution. Infertility can be extremely physically draining and emotionally taxing and has to be managed with a lot of patience. When a woman cannot conceive despite indulging in unprotected intercourse and trying for a year consistently, she would need medical intervention.
Laparoscopy is more of an exploratory surgery. It has emerged as a pivotal game-changing tool in the medical field that will help identify if any infertility issues exist and help treat the condition appropriately.
Over the years, the healthcare industry has progressed rapidly and the evolution has led to the derivation of a range of treatment alternatives. Laparoscopy is a medical procedure; unlike open surgery, it is minimally invasive. Through laparoscopy, doctors can see and determine fertility issues, enabling treatment for reproductive disorders with little scarring and quicker recovery.
Understanding Laparoscopy procedure
The laparoscopy process also referred to as keyhole surgery is a surgical technique carried out through tiny abdominal wall incisions. A laparoscope is a small device comprising a small, illuminated tube with a high-resolution camera at one end. The equipment is inserted into the abdomen to view and examine the pelvic and abdominal organs.
Diagnosis of Infertility
In regards to infertility, the laparoscopy procedure plays a vital role in diagnosing various underlying health conditions that could hinder conception.
The medical conditions that restrain conception include:
• Endometriosis: Endometriosis is a condition where the endometrium, a tissue similar to the lining of the uterus, grows outside the uterus causing severe pain, inflammation, adhesions, and scarring. Laparoscopy enables timely intervention and improves the chances of pregnancy.
• Pelvic Adhesions: The pelvic region scar tissue and adhesions could have occurred as a result of any prior surgeries, infections caused, or endometriosis. When the surgeon performs the laparoscopy procedure, he will be able to clearly identify adhesions that could be removed thus being able to restore the normal pelvic structure and function.
• During the laparoscopy procedure, the surgeon will be clearly able to identify adhesions and facilitate their removal, thus restoring normal pelvic anatomy and function.
• Ovarian Cysts: This enables the evaluation and removal of ovarian cysts that might be affecting ovulation or hormone balance.
• Tubal Patency: One of the common causes of female infertility is blocked fallopian tubes Through laparoscopy, doctors can examine the fallopian tubes and perform tubal cannulation to open up fallopian tubes. This process could increase the chances of natural conception or IVF success
• Along with infertility diagnosis, laparoscopy surgery for the treatment of infertility offers options for therapeutic interventions:
• Ovarian Drilling: Anovulation is a condition that occurs among women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). Here during a menstrual cycle, eggs are not released from the ovaries. In laparoscopic ovarian drilling) small holes are drilled into the ovaries stimulating ovulation and increasing the chances of fertility.
• Endometriosis Excision: Endometrial lesions can be excised with laparoscopy which causes less pain thus increasing the chances of reproductive outcomes for women facing moderate to severe endometriosis.
• Myomectomy: Laparoscopic myomectomy is a minimally invasive procedure to remove uterine fibroids that restrict the uterine cavity or interfere with implantation. Thus removal of the uterine fibroids restores normal uterine function.
Laparoscopy for Infertility
• Laparoscopy procedure done for infertility treatment can help diagnose and aid the treatment of several ailments:
• Diagnosis of pelvic conditions: When a laparoscopy procedure is performed, it helps analyze and diagnose various pelvic issues that could be related to infertility. The medical conditions that could be identified with laparoscopy are endometriosis, pelvic adhesions, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID), fallopian tube anomalies, pelvic adhesions, ovarian cysts, and uterine fibroids.
Treatment of pelvic problems
• The laparoscopic diagnosis and treatment of a few pelvic conditions such as endometriosis lesions, adhesions, and ovarian cysts is done through surgical removal that corrects the condition thus further facilitating beneficial results.
• Evaluation and repair of the fallopian tube: Through laparoscopy any obstructions and overall health of the fallopian tubes can be identified. The repair or unblocking of the tubes by surgeons in the case of blockages or abnormalities highly increases the likelihood of a natural pregnancy to occur.
• Ovarian drilling: Laparoscopic ovarian drilling is a surgical treatment to treat anovulation or the lack of ovulation among women having Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). To stimulate ovulation, the treatment includes making tiny punctures in the ovaries.
Advantages of Laparoscopy
• Enhanced visualization: The high-definition, magnified images enable visual examination of the pelvic anatomy of the reproductive organs.
• Minimally invasive procedure: Laparoscopy is a minimally invasive procedure in which minor entry points are created causing less tissue damage, thereby reducing any postoperative pain. With less scarring in this procedure, quicker recovery is ensured. Thus people undergoing this procedure can resume back to normal activities soon.
• The risk of complications is reduced: In this procedure, the risk of infection as well as other surgical complications are reduced due to the small incisions.
• Minimal hospital stay: Compared to open surgery procedures, laparoscopic therapies are regularly led as short-term procedures or need a shorter hospital stay, resulting in financial savings and a quicker recovery than traditional surgical methods.
Laparoscopy has transformed the diagnosis and treatment of infertility. This procedure has significant benefits over traditional open surgery. This minimally invasive procedure provides accurate diagnosis, improves treatment options, and has revolutionized the way infertility is managed. As this procedure gives a clear understanding of reproductive abnormalities thus allowing timely interventions, the laparoscopic procedure has increased the chances of among several couples facing infertility. With further progress in the field of medical technology laparoscopy will undoubtedly play a vital role in shaping the future of infertility treatment and reproductive medicine.
Share this page
GarbhaGudi is a chain of New-Generation Infertility Treatment Hospitals equipped with state-of- art-infrastructure & cutting-edge IVF Technology to address infertility issues & their emotional & mental effects on couples. We have a team of qualified & experienced doctors; their in-depth knowledge & expertise leaves no stone unturned to solve all your infertility issues. The Supportive & caring staff is always by your side to motivate & guide you throughout the journey. GarbhaGudi IVF, the best fertility treatment hospital in Bangalore, provides emotional support to couples facing infertility issues and sexual problemsContact Us