What is semen analysis?
Semen analysis identifies the health and feasibility of a man’s sperm. Semen, released during ejaculation, contains sperm, sugar and protein substances.
Semen analysis identifies six factors of sperm health:
• Sperm count: The number of sperms. 1 ml of semen should contain at least 15 million sperms.
• Morphology: The shape and size of the sperm. A normal sperm has got an oval-shaped head, a neck or middle piece and a single tail.
• Motility: Indicate the proportion of sperms in your semen that can move.
• The volume of semen: A single ejaculate should be at least 1.5 ml.
• Colour: A semen sample appears opalescent grey.
• pH: Normal pH for semen is around 7.2.
Why undergo semen analysis?
• Semen analysis is done to check male infertility if low sperm count or sperm dysfunction.
• Men who undergo Vasectomy take a sperm analysis once a month for three months to ensure that sperm is absent in their semen.
How to prepare for semen analysis? How to get the best semen sample?
• Resist from ejaculation for twenty-four to 72 hours before the test.
• Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and medicines like cocaine and marijuana two to 5 days before the test.
• Avoid any herbal or hormone medications.
How is the semen sample collected?
There are four main ways to gather a semen sample:
• Sex with a condom
• Sex with withdrawal before ejaculation
• Ejaculation stimulated by electricity
Masturbation is taken into account the well-liked thanks to getting a clean sample.
Two main factors are crucial to having an honest testing sample:
• The semen should be at body temperature. The results turn inaccurate if the semen is too warm or too cold.
• The testing facility should get the sample within 30 mins to an hour of leaving the body.
Some factors can negatively affect the test, including:
• Semen coming into contact with spermicide
• Taking the test when you’re ill or stressed
• Lab technician error
• Contamination of the sample
What to Do If Your Semen Analysis Report Is Abnormal?
If your semen analysis report comes abnormal, it is beneficial to take advice from your fertility expert.
Some tips to keep your semen healthy:
• Quit smoking: smoking causes a severe reduction in sperm count, motility and morphology and increases DNA damage in sperm chromosomes, leading to genetically abnormal sperms.
• Limit your alcohol consumption: Excessive alcohol intake could result in abnormal semen parameters.
• Switch to a healthy diet: Consuming more fruits, vegetables and plenty of water.
• Practice physical activities: Swimming, running, walking etc. One hour a day.
• Avoid wearing any uncomfortable or tight undergarments.
• Use your laptop to keep it on a table rather than on your lap.
• Include vitamins like vitamin C and Vitamin E with an extra supplement of zinc, selenium etc. These nutritional supplements improve sperm function.
The above list is only indicative. For detailed information please consult our fertility specialist at GarbhaGudi IVF Centre.
Outlook after a semen analysis
A semen analysis, the foremost conclusive requires careful collection and analysis of multiple specimens. The test can provide a spread of data that would help determine factors that affect your fertility.
Take home message :
• Don’t feel hesitant to get your semen analyzed if you are facing fertility issues.
• If your semen analysis report comes abnormal, consult our Fertility Specialist, who can find a solution to your problem and help you achieve fatherhood.